Telerik Forums
Telerik Control Panel Forum
1 answer

I posted this as an answer on the thread https://www.telerik.com/forums/cannot-log-into-progress-control, but because it's preventing my team from deciding whether to go with Telerik or one of its competitors, I thought I'd repost it as a question.

When attempting to install a trial version of the Blazor UI controls, I am unable to progress beyond the Login step. This is unfortunate as without the trial I can't make the case that my company should spend thousands of dollars on Telerik instead of, say, Syncfusion. I have to say this experience is not encouraging.

I examined the conversation between the installer and the mothership using Fiddler. The endpoint dle.telerik.com:443 responded with HTTP202 (Accepted) to this POST:

POST https://dle.telerik.com/metrics/v1/events/errors HTTP/1.1
Accept: application/json
Authorization: Bearer {snip}
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Content-Type: application/json
Host: dle.telerik.com
Content-Length: 1211

{"Type":"HandledError","SessionId":"f2ee3acd-37dc-487a-b5ea-1b2647a2eeb3","Source":"Installer","SourceVersion":"2023.3.1012.0","Timestamp":"2023-10-23T21:10:19.7047547Z","OS":"Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit v.10.0 ","CLR":"4.8","MachineId":"6uI7wmYbX4Q9h0+vgpSj5xbBF4o=","Exception":{"OS":"Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit v.10.0 ","CLR":"4.8","MachineId":"6uI7wmYbX4Q9h0+vgpSj5xbBF4o=","Message":"The system cannot find the file specified","Type":"Win32Exception"},"ErrorDetails":"   at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)\r\n   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()\r\n   at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)\r\n   at Telerik.Sso.SsoClient.MakeAuthorizationRequestInBrowser(Int32 port, String appProtocol, String appName, String productCode)\r\n   at Telerik.Sso.SsoClient.GetAccessToken(String appProtocol, String appName, String productCode)\r\n   at Telerik.CommonInstaller.DataAccess.RuntimeServiceClient.GetAccessToken(String appProtocol, String appName, String productCode)\r\n   at Telerik.CommonInstaller.Application.Services.AuthenticationService.Login(String user, String password, Boolean rememberCredentials, Boolean useRemembered)"}

HTTP/1.1 202
Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: application/json
X-Frame-Options: DENY
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:11:55 GMT
Content-Length: 0

So, something is throwing an exception and keeping me from evaluating whether to give Telerik money.

One thing which may be important: the installer requested local disk access that required me to run it as a local Admin account. That account is not the domain account I used to register for Telerik. Not that it should matter; since the admin account has never seen the Telerik account, I would expect that the installer would ask for credentials instead of trying to use non-existent cached credentials.

It occurs to me that a better response to a login failure with cached credentials might be to ask for new credentials. Otherwise the end user might get frustrated and file a very snarky bug report.

Please advise. I'm expecting to give my informal evaluation to my team tomorrow at 3pm CDT/20:00 UTC. I'd hate to exclude Telerik from consideration merely because we couldn't load the free trial.

Vesko
Telerik team
 answered on 24 Oct 2023
1 answer

I'm having a very weird error when trying to install any application using the Progress Control Panel, it doesn't matter if it's a trial or a free app or one of my licensed products.

My network connectivy it's just fine, I can log in to the app sucessfully and even I can access my account from the web and download the .msi for any application/package.

Log of the error:

Telerik.CommonInstaller.Operations.Download.DownloadOperationException: DownloadFailed ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Telerik.Installers.Downloader.ByteRangeDownloader.ProcessSegmentCore(DownloadContext context, Segment segment)
   at Telerik.Installers.Downloader.ByteRangeDownloader.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<ProcessSegment>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.TransientFaultHandling.RetryPolicy.<>c__DisplayClass28_0.<ExecuteAction>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.TransientFaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction[TResult](Func`1 func)
   at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.TransientFaultHandling.RetryPolicy.ExecuteAction(Action action)
   at Telerik.Installers.Downloader.ByteRangeDownloader.ProcessSegment(DownloadContext context, Segment segment, RetryPolicy retryPolicy)
   at Telerik.Installers.Downloader.ByteRangeDownloader.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<Start>b__5(Object state)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Jorge
Top achievements
Rank 1
 updated question on 11 Jul 2022
2 answers

I've made several attempts to install Reporting extensions in a newly installed VS2022 Preview.  Twice failed with the Control Panel, 2021.2.1110.4, and once with the Telerik_Reporting_R3_2021_SP2_15_2_21_1125_DEV.msi installer.  I didn't see any errors in the Progress Installer Logs or event logs.

What did work was running the *\VS2022\Telerik.Reporting.VsX.vsix installer directly. 

A few weeks ago, I had the same issue with reporting on VS2019. 

Why can't the Reporting installer be installed from NuGet like the Reporting Trial?

Win 10 Ent 21H1, VS 2022 Ent Preview 4.8.04084

Thx,

_D

Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
 answered on 29 Dec 2021
5 answers

Hi,
yesterday control panel start requesting an update, but running the downloaded new version do nothing: I can see the progress bar moving but at the end I'm getting always the older version, and running again the control panel it keep asking to update.

So I uninstall the older version and run the installer again : the installer start, I can see the progress bar, at the end it open the control panel with my credentials, but don't install it into my system (windows 10 Version 10.0.19043 Build 19043).

Always run the installer as administrator, no antivirus and no firewall blocks.

I attached the install log.

Thanks

Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
 answered on 07 Oct 2021
3 answers

My team has 2 applications using Telerik.UI.for.AspNet.Core, one is using v2020.3.1118 and the other is using v2021.1.119.  Each application up until now was worked on by 2 different developers, but now one developer has been assigned both applications.  

The developer was originally working with v2020.3.1118 and has that installed on his machine via control panel.  Now that he has been assigned the application with v2021.1.119, he can't build it until he installs the new version via control panel.  The problem is that he has to uninstall the older version when the new version is installed (control panel seems to force this). 

Is there something we are missing here, it seems odd to only allow one version to be installed at a time.  We cannot update the older version to the newer without triggering a full QA regression (both manual and automated) that takes several weeks to complete before it goes into our release pipeline. 

Thanks

carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
 updated answer on 07 Jun 2021
Narrow your results
Selected tags
Tags
+? more
Top users last month
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Yurii
Top achievements
Rank 1
Leland
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Hon
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Deltaohm
Top achievements
Rank 3
Bronze
Iron
Iron
Want to show your ninja superpower to fellow developers?
Top users last month
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Yurii
Top achievements
Rank 1
Leland
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Hon
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Deltaohm
Top achievements
Rank 3
Bronze
Iron
Iron