Telerik Forums
Kendo UI for jQuery Forum
1 answer

Morning,

I've been using the Kendo Grid for years and absolutely love it for what I can do with it, but every so often I get asked to stretch the functionality of what it can do,  I haven't found much documentation on this, but i'll try my best to give an example of what I've done, and to see if there is a better way of doing it..

I have a field in my Grid that is a string, with multiple "Tags" explicitly given in the dataSource in filterable.

{
        "columnMenu": {
            "componentType": "modern"
        },
        "stickable": true,
        "field": "conditions",
        "filterable": {
            "enabled": true,
            "multi": true,
            "search": true,
            "dataSource": [
                {
                    "conditions": "TEST123"
                },
                {
                    "conditions": "TEST"
                },
                {
                    "conditions": "ABC"
                },
                {
                    "conditions": "DEF"
                }
            ]
        },
        "groupable": true,
        "aggregates": "count",
        "groupHeaderTemplate": "Conditions: #= value # (Count: #= count#)",
        "sortable": true,
        "title": "Conditions",

The data in the field is a string of comma separated tags, i.e.

TEST, ABC, DEF

I've updated the filter method on the Grid so that I can select multiple options in the filter menu, and it does a "contains" look up to match multiple hits.

filter: function(e){
	this.columns.forEach(function(f){
		if(e.field === f.field){
			if(f.filterable.hasOwnProperty('dataSource')){
				e.filter.filters.forEach(function(f){
					f.operator = "contains";
					e.filter.logic = "and";
				})
			}
		}
	})
},

I have two issues here.

1. I'm using contains, so if the tags are similar (TEST, TEST123), selecting TEST will show both TEST and TEST123 - which isn't ideal.

2. If I select an option from the filter menu, it doesn't remain checked if you were to go back into the filter menu again.

I've asked this question before and had some great help to get it to this point using: https://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/knowledge-base/grid-how-to-change-multi-checkbox-filter-to-contains but I'm wondering if there is a better way of achieving the functionality I'm looking for here with the grid.  I added square brackets to the tags to distinguish them ([TEST], [TEST123]) , but my users didn't like this change.

Is there a way to do this without using contains?

I'd also like to be able to see the selected option in the filter menu - I can find the checkbox through jQuery, but I cannot toggle it's state..

e.filter.filters.forEach(function(f){
	var checkbox = $(".k-filter-menu").find("input[value='"+f.value+"']");

console.log(checkbox);												 
        checkbox.prop("checked", true).trigger("change");
	checkbox.attr("checked", true).trigger("change");

f.operator = "contains";
	e.filter.logic = "and";
})

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Martin
Telerik team
 answered on 05 Feb 2024
3 answers

There is an issue with the Grid

• when all columns have a width defined, and
  • when the total of all column widths is less than the total width of the grid 
  • will initially have the extra width distributed to them (good - not an issue)
  • but when an attempt to resize a column is made, 1) every column other than the one being resized will resize to the width defined in the configuration AND 2) the column being resized will resize to take up the space left behind by the other columns becoming smaller.

Configuration for it to happen appears to be

• Resizing enabled
  • Scrolling enabled
  • Each column has a width defined, adding to a total width smaller than the width of the Grid's DOM element

The scenario is

1. Open the grid
  2. Resize a column

Impact
Columns lose their distributed widths and the column being resized jumps away from the cursor.

An example is here:

http://dojo.telerik.com/eYUdE

Try resize the first column, you will observe the resized column growing in width and other columns losing their distributed widths. This leaves the cursor indicating an incorrect resize position.

Is there any chance this could be fixed / a work around be advised? Having the distributed column widths is this circumstance is good, but the behavior on resize is undesirable.

Jens Anders
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
 updated answer on 01 Feb 2024
0 answers

Having problems when using the showColumn() hideColumn() function for grids:

Why does hideColumn() function on grid scrunch up the width when enabling it?

Then when I check the checkbox to hide the first row:

It seems to scrunch the other rows to the LEFT? You demo in the DOJO doesn't do this... I was wondering if this is because I am using a hierarchical grid?

function toggleEditing(e){

var hideColumn = $(e.target).prop("checked");
          var grid = $("#grid").data("kendoGrid");
          if(hideColumn){
            grid.hideColumn(0);
          }
          else {
            grid.showColumn(0);
          }
        }

See  my Kendo UI Dojo code for behavior:
https://dojo.telerik.com/UmAgoDEs/2

Thanks!

George

George
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
 updated question on 30 Jan 2024
1 answer

Hi!! I'm having an issue with Kendo UI JQuery.

I'm using the grid, and I have my data source defined with schema inside. All the schema fields have the property editable in false.

At some point, I need to change some of them to editable true, but I'm not able to do it so far.

I tried getting the data from the grid and updating the Datasource object manually and after that read the Datasource and refresh the grid, but is not working.

Also, try setting a completely new Datasource, and after that read the Datasource and refresh the grid, but is not working.

Also, try destroying the grid a generating a new one, but the grid never refreshes and the editable continues in false.

Neli
Telerik team
 answered on 25 Jan 2024
1 answer

Hello,

We have a grid with a default grouping applied to it, and are trying to persist the expanded groups through a read operation (remote datasource).

We have been successful in persisting them through some operations using the following code:

function getExpandedGroups() {
    expandedGroups = [];
    try {
        let groupRows = $(".k-grouping-row");
        for (let i = 0; i < groupRows.length; i++) {
            let e = groupRows[i];
            let expanded = e.children[0]["ariaExpanded"];
            if (expanded === "true") {
                let groupName = $(e).find(".k-reset").text();
                let slicePos = groupName.lastIndexOf(" (");
                groupName = groupName.slice(0, slicePos);
                expandedGroups.push(groupName);
            }
        }
    }
    catch { }
    return expandedGroups;
}

function restoreExpandedGroups() {
    try {
        groupRows = $(".k-grouping-row");
        for (let i = 0; i < groupRows.length; i++) {
            let e = groupRows[i];
            let groupName = $(e).find(".k-reset").text();
            let slicePos = groupName.lastIndexOf(" (");
            groupName = groupName.slice(0, slicePos);
            if (expandedGroups.includes(groupName)) {
                attachmentTable.expandGroup(e);
            }
        }
    }
    catch { }
}

which works fine if our code calls the read event, since we can execute it before and after eg.

let expandedGroups = getExpandedGroups();
    attachmentTable.dataSource.read().then(function () {    
        restoreExpandedGroups(expandedGroups);
    });

however, when we use any of the grid functionality like sorting on a column, there doesn't seem to be any events that we can subscribe to that occur after the grid sets the groups back to their collapsed state, and we aren't able to persist the grouping in the same way.

Are there any potential workarounds for this issue?

Thanks

Regards,

Will Douglas

Neli
Telerik team
 answered on 22 Jan 2024
1 answer

I have a kendo grid with inline editing and would like to put the edit and delete button inside a dropdown.

Before code:

columns.Command(command =>
{
   command.Edit();
   command.Destroy();
 }).Width(70);

I came up with the following markup

columns.Bound(x => x.Id).Title(" ").IncludeInMenu(false).ClientTemplate(
   @"<div class='btn-group'>
   <a role='button' class='k-button k-button-icontext k-grid-edit' href='\\#'><span class='k-icon k-i-edit'></span>Edit</a>
   <a class='k-button k-button-icontext dropdown-toggle' data-toggle='dropdown' aria-haspopup='true' aria-expanded='false'>
       <span class='caret'></span>
   </a>
   <ul class='dropdown-menu'>
      <li><a role='button' class='k-button k-button-icontext k-grid-delete' href='\\#'><span class='k-icon k-i-close'></span>Delete</a></li>
   </ul>
   </div>")
.Width(80);
This is basically ok, but the problem is that after clicking the edit button, the Update/Cancel buttons are not displayed. Is there a way to fix this issue?
Anton Mironov
Telerik team
 answered on 19 Jan 2024
1 answer
I am trying the jQuery grid and really like the various features. However, compared to other grids I have tested I have found the performance to be much slower in some circumstances. I have a grid with only 6 columns. When the number of rows gets above approximately 1000, the time to sort on a text column can be 2 or 3 seconds. Also, when entering a search text to filter the grid and then clearing the search, it takes several seconds to restore the full list. In every other grid both of these operations are instantaneous even with tens of thousands of records. This is really not acceptable from a user point of view and I wonder why this grid is so much slower than the competition.
Neli
Telerik team
 answered on 18 Jan 2024
3 answers
1.3K+ views
I have recently removed the vertical scroll bar from my grid but noticed a 17px padding that defeats the purpose of my removal.  
In IE developer tools I see that it's an inline style, but I'm unsure of where/how to override this.   Any guidance or direction would be nice.   

<div class="k-grid-header" style="padding-right: 17px;">
Dimo
Telerik team
 updated answer on 12 Jan 2024
2 answers
4.0K+ views
I am working on the Kendo Grid (Batch Editing) with following columns:

A - Stock Value (Numeric) - Non-Editable
B - Item Type (DropDown) - values are "In Stock", "Purchase", "Out Stock", "Credit" - Editable
C - Percentage (Numeric) - Editable
D - Sale Price (Numeric) - Editable
E - Amount - Non-Editable

My requirement is when I change any of the editable field (i.e. Item Type, Percentage or Sale Price), the "Amount" field should be calculated based on following formula.

If "Item Type" = "In Stock" then "Amount" = "Stock Value" - "Percentage"
If "Item Type" = "Purchase" then "Amount" = ("Stock Value" + "Percentage") * "Sale Price"
If "Item Type" = "Out Stock" then "Amount" = ("Stock Value" - "Percentage") * "Sale Price"

If "Item Type" = "Credit" then "Amount" = "Percentage" * "Sale Price"

The "Amount value should be calculated, as soon as I change any of the editable field.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Komail Noori

Patrick | Technical Support Engineer, Senior
Telerik team
 updated answer on 11 Jan 2024
0 answers

I am using a kendoGrid bound to a SharePoint list. I am able to get the grid to work fine with pagination. The problem is that I am using large datasets so the query performance is slow due to returning the total record count. SharePoint provides a way to do paging without using a total record count. Queries return a "next" and "previous" page url (see screenshot below). I would rather use this method for the sake of performance. Is there a way to have a custom pager with just a next and previous button and set the click event of those buttons?

Justin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
 asked on 11 Jan 2024
Narrow your results
Selected tags
Tags
+? more
Top users last month
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Yurii
Top achievements
Rank 1
Leland
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Hon
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Deltaohm
Top achievements
Rank 3
Bronze
Iron
Iron
Want to show your ninja superpower to fellow developers?
Top users last month
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Yurii
Top achievements
Rank 1
Leland
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Hon
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Deltaohm
Top achievements
Rank 3
Bronze
Iron
Iron