Telerik Forums
Reporting Forum
1 answer

Hello, we're in the process of migrating from Oracle Reports (since it's no longer supported) and are evaluating Telerik Reporting as a solution. After looking up the the Standalone editor and make a few POC reports, we have a few questions.

For reference :

• we have ~700 reports that we will migrate over time. They all are "static" reports, meaning that we only want to produce a PDF that will be downloaded by the user at the click of a button.
  • we don't intend to use the Telerik Report Server solution.
  • we want our reports to consume a REST url to get the needed data (which will return a JSON). Which means we probably will have a REST url for each report.

Here are our questions :

1. What's the difference between the .NET Framework and .NET 6 standalone executables ? Why use one or the other ? Are the report files (.TRDP/.TRDX) produced identical between the two ?
  2. When upgrading Telerik Reporting, we understand that we have to be careful about the version and it's changes. What about the report files ? Do we have to "upgrade" each and every one of them manually each time we upgrade Telerik Reporting ? With ~700 reports, it would be way too much time consuming.
  3. Our development workflow would be the following. Are there any catch we should be aware ? Is it feasible ? 
    1. Create a REST url for the new report
    2. Create the new report with the standalone editor and set it's datasource with the newly created REST url
    3. Push the report on a custom report server
    4. Implement the call to the report in our application

4. Lastly, what's the best practice for the report versioning ? We'd like to use a GIT to store our report files and show diffs between each revision. I understand I would not be possible with a .TRDP since it's an archive, so should we save and store our report file as .TRDX to achieve this ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

1 answer

Hi,

I'm migrating my solution from Dot Net Framework to Dot Net Core 6. On Local Dev Machine which is running on Windows, the reports are getting generated without any issues, but when the same is run in a Docker Container it fails with the following exceptions.

I have already tried installing the required libraries which are mentioned in this post but the same persists

FROM mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/aspnet:6.0 AS base
WORKDIR /app
EXPOSE 46555
RUN apt-get update \
    && apt-get install -y --allow-unauthenticated \
        libc6-dev \
        libgdiplus \
        libx11-dev \
    && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

FROM mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/sdk:6.0 AS setup
WORKDIR /src
RUN dotnet restore "SampleProject/SampleReports.csproj"
COPY . .

FROM setup AS build
WORKDIR "/src/"
RUN dotnet build "SampleReports.csproj" -c Release -o /app/build

FROM build AS publish
RUN dotnet publish "SampleReports.csproj" -c Release -o /app/publish /p:UseAppHost=false

FROM base AS final
WORKDIR /app
COPY --from=publish /app/publish .
ENTRYPOINT ["dotnet", "SampleReports.dll"]

Other information that I would like to add are that my solution uses direct references to Telerik dlls.

Dimitar
Telerik team
 answered on 05 Apr 2023
Top users last month
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Yurii
Top achievements
Rank 1
Leland
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Hon
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Deltaohm
Top achievements
Rank 3
Bronze
Iron
Iron
Want to show your ninja superpower to fellow developers?
Want to show your ninja superpower to fellow developers?